Her first HarperImpulse book, The Roman, a steamy historical romance, was released earlier this year. Now meet the woman behind the salacious Roman love story – Caroline Storer!
1. Tell us about yourself in 100 words or less:
Being a poor sleeper, I’ve been making up stories for years now to try and exhaust my mind, and get some much needed sleep. It doesn’t always work as the stories then demand to be written! I write mainly Historical romances, but I’ve also written Contemporary romances, Romantic Intrigue and I’ve also tried my hand at Futuristic and Time Slip romances.
I live on the beautiful island of Anglesey in North Wales with my wonderful husband, Colin. By day I’m an Environmental Health Officer, where I get to meet lots of interesting people – all grist to the writer’s mill.
2. What did you think you were going to be when you grew up?
I wanted to join the Police Force as a teenager. It didn’t happen for some reason, instead I went to university to study Environmental Science. However, I did marry a police detective in later life.
3. What inspired you to start writing?
I remember my Primary School teacher reading out a story I had written to the class. It was called “The Gate” and she said it was a lovely story, and that I should carry on writing as I had a “good imagination”.
4. What was the inspiration for your novel?
Two films – the classic “Ben Hur” and the fabulous “Gladiator” starring Russell Crowe. My story takes inspiration from them both.
5. What are your top three romantic books and why?
1) Gypsy Lady (1977) by Shirlee Busbee – I remember reading this book when it first came out and it hooked me onto romance.
2) Whitney, My Love by Judith McNaught. This book was one of the first Historical’s I read. It’s still on my “keeper shelf”.
3) Lorraine Heath’s “Lord of Wicked Intentions” is one of the best Regencies I’ve read (and I’ve read a lot). Lorraine is a recent discovery of mine, and thanks to my Kindle I’ve been able to read all of her books to date.
6. If you could ride off into the sunset with a fictional character, who would you choose and why?
Maximus Decimus Meridius a.k.a Russell Crowe in “Gladiator”. A true hero, who’s tall dark and handsome with a body to die for!
The one woman he ever loved was the one woman who betrayed him.
And now, the Roman will have his revenge…